Happy Valentine’s all! Wishing you endless love and happiness always <3
If it’s your task today to prepare the Vday meal, then try this satisfying and romantic stew which will surely hit the jackpot with the one you love.
It only takes about 15-20 minutes to prepare & more importantly, it’s filling!
- 500 g minced beef or lamb
- ¼ cup zereshk (barberry’s acidic berry)
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 ml water
- 500 ml beef broth
- 1 cup oatmeal
- Season, to taste
- Mix zereshk and oregano with the minced meat till well combined. Then make equal sized meatballs.
- In a heated pan, add olive oil and pan fry the meatballs till sealed and colored (approx. 3 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a deep pot, add water, beef broth and oatmeal. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes then season to taste.
- Gently drop in the meatballs and let simmer for another 10 minutes (add more water if you think is needed).
- Serve hot and sprinkle additional zereshk for taste and texture.
- Serve with a side of olive bread or crispy pita bread.
Note: Zereshk is an acidic berry which comes from the barberry shrub (a.k.a. berberis vulgaris). It is usually found in Iranian dishes and is perfectly paired with chicken and rice.