I’ve been traveling a lot lately – and more travels on the way so I had to make at least one real home cooked meal before I set off again. And what better than lamb shanks to share with the man I love? This recipe is actually quite simple, but impactful in flavor & aroma. For excellent results you will need two tips:
- Proper braising
- Patience for the lamb to cook
Here we go! Buen Provecho!
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ tbsp tumeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
- ½ tbsp salt
- ¼ cup garlic, finely chopped or mashed
- 2 large Lamb shanks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 sprigs rosemary, picked
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 large mango, chopped
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, garnish
- Prepare your marinade by mixing all the ingredients.
- Brush the marinade on the lamb shanks and place in a rondeau pot.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour (preferably overnight).
- When ready to cook, pre-heat the oven to 180°
- Simultaneously, in a heated rondeau pot, add butter and the lamb shanks until it gets a color on all sides.
- Remove from pot, and add remaining ingredients except for the broth and cook for a few minutes.
- Return the lamb shanks to the pot and add the broth, reduce for 10 minutes then move to the oven and cook until tender, for 2-3 hours.
- Serve warm and garnish with cilantro.
- Herbed or spicy potato wedges
- Quinoa spiced with paprika, cumin and a dash of rosewater
- Grilled vegetables such as broccoli, carrots or artichokes